Friday, July 9, 2010

visit #3

it has been so hot all week, that i have been spending more time in the pool than anywhere else. so when i went over to mrs. summers' house, i decided to keep my dog jessie at home to enjoy our air conditioned house.

unfortunately for me, mrs. summers didn't hear the doorbell, so i stood outside for a while and finally called my mom, who called the house and then mrs. summers came to the door.

we sat at our normal place in the living room, but not before she tried to open some of the windows in the kitchen. i told her it wasn't a good idea because we wanted to keep the hot air out.

this visit was much more quiet. i think we were both exhausted from the heat, and we didn't have much to talk about. but she did ask me if i had any pets, which made me sad because it meant she didn't remember when i brought jessie.

her favorite sentences today were:
"it's so quiet!"
"there's no wind at all today."
"maybe we should open the windows?"
"where do you live?"

she also offered me something to drink, which i helped her find in the fridge. we had orange juice, which i made sure to check the expiration date on before drinking it. she apologized a few times about how she didn't have any dinner to feed me either.


mrs. summers must have really loved her dog, because that seems to be her favorite story to tell me. i'm afraid she'll go looking for her dog one day if i keep playing along with it, but if i try to tell her that her dog has been dead for a long time, i'm afraid of what her reaction will be like.

i think i'm going to bring a puzzle or something next time, because our visits seem to get quieter and quieter each time. i may also bring my 13 year old sister, who loves to hear mrs. summers' stories and is very curious about what she is like. my mom wants me to ask her how old she is, just to see if she remembers. but even at 92, what woman wants to be asked how old she is?

ok, i am now being rushed out the door to go to a sleepover with my friends, but my story for today is over anyway.

i wonder what the next visit will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment